Personal tools
You are here: Home Rete interadriatica(interadriatic network) Resources Santa Scolastica Convent
Document Actions

Santa Scolastica Convent

 

The foundation of the female Benedictine convent of San Scolastica has its origins dating back to the 11th century. The church was originally divided into three naves and which end with an apse. The cloister was realised around 1120. Over several centuries various promises were made by various abbesses to enlarge the building, and especially during the 16th century under the guidance of Isabella d Aragon and Bona Sforza. The convent flourished until the first years of the 18th century. Then the number of members diminished and the building finished in a terrible state. The last uses of the building provoked ulterior structural problems due to this the building lost its original look.
Different archaeological digs have revealed that the original environmental evidence seemed to be radically compromised. In addition to this there emerged traces of prehistoric sediments (possibly bronze age) and of the VI, V ,1V centuries BC. The annex church of San Peter has in the portal, elements from the Baroque period. There remains from the Romanesque period the bell tower and the internal scansion of three naves.
Internally there are liturgical decorations and furnishings of the 17th century. The older structures are ornate , and of notable interest is the majolica floor dating back to the 18th century.
 


 

Powered by Plone, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: