Personal tools
You are here: Home Rete interadriatica(interadriatic network) Resources The church of San Nicola from Cisternino
Document Actions

The church of San Nicola from Cisternino

The church of San Nicola, known as Main Church, was built in the 12th century on the foundations of the previous Basilian church of the 8th century. Around 1848 the external neoclassical fa├žade replaced the previous one which was problably in Romanesque style. Of the original Romanesque structure important traces remain both inside the church and within its walls. The groin vault of the transept and some sculptural decorations date back to the 13th and 14th centuries. Worthy of note inside the church is the tabernacle dedicated to the Madonna del Cardellino (1517) by Putignano, the Apulian Renaissance sculptor. In  2000 , during the restoration and improvement work of this sacred place, the primordial and lower temple dating back to the 7th  century was found.


 

Powered by Plone, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: