Personal tools
You are here: Home Rete interadriatica(interadriatic network) Resources The Monastery of San Benedetto (Conversano)
Document Actions

The Monastery of San Benedetto (Conversano)

The date of its construction is uncertain. According to an ancient tradition, the monastery dates back to the 6th century. In 1267 its control was assumed by abbesses who, belonging to noble families, contributed to its wealth. Once the Benedictines died, the monastery passed to the local government which, in 1910 donated it to the Sisters of S. Anna and then in 1974, to the Apostles of S. Rosario.

The oldest part of the church is surely the crypt, best known as the grotto of S. Mauro, who was assumed to be the founder of the monastery, according to a not very reliable legend.

The church preserves, of its original structure, only the external walls dating back to the 11th century, the period of the Norman invasions. The only external decoration is the beautiful mosaic composed of white stones alternating with coloured square tesseras. There are two bell towers, one belonging to the Norman period, the other decorative one belonging to the Baroque. On the arch three blazons are portrayed: one representing Pope Alessandro VII, the other representing the Acquaviva, and finally that of the monastery.

Currently the monastery houses the halls of the civic museum of Conversano.

9.00 a.m; 4.30 p.m.

midday; 7.30 p.m.


 

Powered by Plone, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: